Banana Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 Cups of plain flour
- 3 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups of buttermilk at room temperature
- 1 ripe banana mashed plus another for serving.
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled, and extra for waffle iron.
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup of double cream, very cold
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- ½ cup of toasted walnuts,broken into small pieces
- Maple syrup for serving
Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs into a medium bowl until frothy; add the buttermilk, mashed banana, 4 tablespoons of the butter and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir the wet mixture into the dry until just combined taking extra care not to over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
Pre-heat a waffle iron to medium-high. Pre-heat the oven to 200F. Brush the inside of the iron evenly with some of the remaining butter. Pour in enough batter to lightly cover the surface of the iron, about ⅓ to ¾ cup, depending on iron size. Cook until the waffles are crisp and golden, 5-7 minutes. Repeat this with the remaining butter and batter, keeping the waffles warm in the oven until ready.
Whisk the cream and confectioners sugar, in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. If using, slice the remaining banana. Serve the waffles topped with whipped cream, banana slices and walnuts and drizzle in maple syrup.